The Oprah Winfrey Show
Watch David Strayer on the Oprah Winfrey Show.
airing January 18...
The New York Times Distracted Drivers
One researcher who spoke up about his concerns was quickly shut down. In 1990, David Strayer, a junior researcher at GTE, which later became part of Verizon, noticed more drivers who seemed to be distracted by their phones, and it scared him. He asked a supervisor if the company should research the risks.
"Why would we want to know that?" Mr. Strayer recalled being told. He said the message was clear: "Learning about distraction would not be very helpful to the overall business model."...http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/technology/07distracted.html?pagewanted=1
PBS | news hour with jim lehrer:
Texting while driving quadruples risk of accidents
WHYY | Radio Times with Marty Moss-Coane
The latest research on driving while talking on your cell phone. Our guest is DAVID STRAYER, Professor of Psychology at the University of Utah. His research focuses on driver distraction and multi-tasking. His lab has been studying cell phone safety for about a decade. 51 Minute Audio File (MP3)
The University of utah
recent press releases
- Drivers distracted more by cell phones than by passengers: http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=112608-2
- Drivers on cell phones clog traffic: http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=121907-2
- Drivers on cell phones are as bad as drunks: http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1
- Cell phone users driver like old folks: http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=022106-52
- Cell phone users drive "blind": http://unews.utah.edu/p/?r=031506-7
Download original studies from the Applied Cognition Lab's selected publications